[Cerowrt-devel] better ingress shaping somehow

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 13:57:11 EDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 10/02/2014 07:07 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>>> I beleive that on the WNDR3800, it's able to work up to about 50Mb with
>>> the
>>> existing configurations. A faster CPU would do better, a slower one
>>> worse.
>>

>> Actually it appears that cache is very important on fixing inbound rate
>> shaping.
>>
>> The octeon in the edgerouter lite peaks out at above 60mbits also, but the
>> bigger, fatter pro product actually manages quite a bit better (with
>> increasing
>> inaccuracy however). See below...
>

> Ugh.  Got any hard numbers on the top speed of the edgerouter with shaping?
>
> At work we recently upgraded our link from 60/10 to 100/15 and the WNDR I
> have running the show can no longer keep up.  I've been looking for a
> replacement and the edgerouter lite was looking like a possibility.

Shaping the uplink only still helps a lot.

> I tried to use a TPLink AC1750 thinking that a newer setup with a faster cpu
> might be able to keep up.  If I don't have shaping enabled it can do 200+
> Mbit but with shaping it drops considerably.  It's still faster than the
> WNDR but seems to max out at about 85 Mbit.

The fastest-looking thing I've played with of late is the netgear x4.
It's dynamic QoS feature
is basically fq_codel, near as I can tell. I'll try pushing it to
120Mbit this week.

I do not have a high impression of it's overall firmware quality, and
haven't seen the gpl drop yet.

Aside from that, there's always x86.

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/make-wifi-fast