[Cerowrt-devel] better ingress shaping somehow

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Oct 5 22:16:13 EDT 2014

On 10/05/2014 01:57 PM, Dave Taht wrote:

>> Ugh.  Got any hard numbers on the top speed of the edgerouter with shaping?
>>
>> At work we recently upgraded our link from 60/10 to 100/15 and the WNDR I
>> have running the show can no longer keep up.  I've been looking for a
>> replacement and the edgerouter lite was looking like a possibility.
>
> Shaping the uplink only still helps a lot.

Hmmm... At work I use OpenWRT barrier breaker and not ceroWRT.
I'm just using the stock qos script and luci.  How would I go about
setting it to only do uplink?

> is basically fq_codel, near as I can tell. I'll try pushing it to
> 120Mbit this week.

Thanks.  That would be very helpful. If it works I'll get one.

We need QoS for our VoIP system.  If I don't run QoS the VoIP system is
very unhappy.

> I do not have a high impression of it's overall firmware quality, and
> haven't seen the gpl drop yet.

There several pages that say its based on OpenWRT?  But I don't see any
mention of that on OpenWRT page website and searches for r7500 or AC2350
  or nighthawk don't seem to turn up anything.  Just a few hits for the
r7000 and that the radio is not supported.

> Aside from that, there's always x86.

Yeah. That was going to be my fall back option if the edgerouter did not
work.

I was thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007

and running OpenWRT x86 on it.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>