[Cerowrt-devel] Other router models for OpenWireless deployment

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Oct 9 04:48:31 EDT 2014

Hi Ragna,

On Oct 9, 2014, at 01:51 , Ranga Krishnan <ranga at eff.org> wrote:

> As folks on this list might know the OpenWireless project at EFF adopted
> CeroWRT as a base for the hacker release of the OpenWireless router
> in July  -- which as a result is based on the WNDR 3800.  Thanks very much
> to the CeroWRT community for providing such a solid base on which to
> build. We could not have got the release out without the help of this
> community.
>
> For the OpenWIreless project we want to move toward wider deployment.
> I have started to look into how the EFF could support more router models.
> The idea is to find a few routers with OpenWRT (Barrier Breaker or later) that
> are widely deployed in the field today. By releasing images for an additional
> 3-5 widely deployed router models we hope to reach more people with a
> software only solution for openwireless  -- i.e remove the need to buy a
> specific router model.

	So, what about packaging the Openwireless magic into a series of openwrt packages so all openwrt supported routers (if hardware capabilities allow) are ready?

	From my totally unscientific monitoring of https://forum.openwrt.org/viewforum.php?id=10 the TP-link wdr4900 v1.3 seems to be in the right ballpark:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=244167#p244167, the used powerpc SoC seems to be quite capable. No idea how long this will still be available and what hardware will power the successor (it is just me or do other’s also dislike the router manufacturer’s inclination to keep the same name for wildly hardware platforms, e.g. wndr3700 v1 to v4)

> With OpenWRT support, presumably it would be simple to port over the
> Openwireless code. However whether that is true is TBD. Ease of porting
> would be an important consideration.
>
>  Are there any router models folks on this list can recommend for me to look
> at  ? Large existing installed base and good OpenWRT support are the main
> metrics for ranking candidates.

	I would assume that the size of the installed base should anti-correlate with price ;)

Best Regards
	Sebastian