[Cerowrt-devel] Other router models for OpenWireless deployment

Ranga Krishnan ranga at eff.org
Wed Oct 8 19:51:52 EDT 2014

As folks on this list might know the OpenWireless project at EFF adopted
CeroWRT as a base for the hacker release of the OpenWireless router
in July  -- which as a result is based on the WNDR 3800.  Thanks very much
to the CeroWRT community for providing such a solid base on which to
build. We could not have got the release out without the help of this
community.

For the OpenWIreless project we want to move toward wider deployment.
I have started to look into how the EFF could support more router models.
The idea is to find a few routers with OpenWRT (Barrier Breaker or later) that
are widely deployed in the field today. By releasing images for an additional
3-5 widely deployed router models we hope to reach more people with a
software only solution for openwireless  -- i.e remove the need to buy a
specific router model.

We do want one very modern high end platform  that can support 100+ Mbps
on the WAN link. This might be the one people on this list have been searching
for over the last few months. However, we also want to pick 3 or 4 previous
generation routers with just 802.11n (no need for 11ac) and processor / memory
equivalent or just a bit better than the 3800.

With OpenWRT support, presumably it would be simple to port over the
Openwireless code. However whether that is true is TBD. Ease of porting
would be an important consideration.

  Are there any router models folks on this list can recommend for me to look
at  ? Large existing installed base and good OpenWRT support are the main
metrics for ranking candidates.

Thanks,
Ranga