[Cerowrt-devel] 10GigE nics and SFP+ modules?

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Wed Sep 10 17:54:33 EDT 2014

I have been heavily involved with the UFB (Ultrafast Broadband) PON
deployment here in New Zealand.

I am not sure how the regulated environment is playing out in Canada
(I am moving there in a month so I guess I will find out). But here
the GPON architecture is METH based and Layer2 only. Providers (RSP's)
are the ones responsible for asking for Handoffer buffer tweaks to the
LFC(local fibre companies; the layer 0-2 outfits-) which have mandated
targets for Latency (at most 4.5ms) accross their PON Access networks
to the Handover port.

Most of the time this has been to 'fix' Speedtest.net TCP based
results to report whatever Marketed service (100/30 For example) is in
everyones favourite site speedtest.net.

This has meant at least for the Chorus LFC regions where they use
Alcatel-Lucent 7450's as the handover/aggregation switches we have
deliberately introduced buffer bloat to please the RSP's - who
otherwise get whingy about customers whinging about speedtest not
showing 100/30mbit. Of course user education is 'too hard' .

-Joel