[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.44-6 report

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Sep 16 08:23:50 EDT 2014

Awhile ago I reported problems where my pppoe link did not come up, and
sometimes not all of the wifi interfaces would come up.  It seemed like it
was some kind of limit on number of interfaces, and started looking at netifd
for some clue what was going on, but I didn't see any obvious struct
interface[16] or some such.

Last night, after my wife complained again, I rebooted the 3800 after 60 days
of uptime... I had placed numifX=0 somewhere so that I wouldn't instantiate 8
useless interfaces.  Having done that, I notice that my two guest wifi
interfaces got brought up properly, and the PPPoE link came up on it's
own (I think, I do have some hacks to force it up).   I still had to poke
some things.
In conversations at IETF90, I think someone said that netifd does something
like:
        (1 << ifindex)
in order to mark something about interfaces...  That would certainly explain
the problem, because ifindex can march upwards quite easily on systems with
PPP interfaces coming/going.  I note that on my freshly booted system,
all ifindex are < 32.

I haven't located any code in netifd that does this, but haven't looked
that much yet.

What is the plan now that BB is about to be fully released?  I think that all
CeroWRT code for the 3800 is now upstream.... it seems that the next CeroWRT
release should simply point at openwrt BB?