[Cerowrt-devel] using an alternate tftp server

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Fri Sep 26 18:19:42 EDT 2014

Hi cerowrt-devel,

I needed to tell dnsmasq to use an alternate tftp server and the ability to
do so isn't exposed through the web UI, so I figured out how to do it. Here
is a description, if it looks OK maybe it can go in the FAQ?

Q: How do I use an alternate tftp boot server?

A: The web configuration interface lets you enable a local TFTP server
and set its root and boot file name, but if you just want the DHCP
response to supply a different path/file/server do the following:
* edit /etc/config/dhcp and in the "config dnsmasq" section add
  something like
    "option dhcp_boot 'tag:se00,pxelinux.0,,172.30.42.5'"
  where 'se00' is the interface, 'pxelinux.0' the path/file, an empty
  server hostname, and IP address of the next-server.
* run '/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart'
* if you are debugging and want to check that the line you added
  resulted in the changes you want, look at /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org