[Cerowrt-devel] Fiber to the yurt approved

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:49:31 EDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 07:06:30AM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
>> searching alibaba for new gear is truly an eye-opening experience...
>>
>> examples:
>>
>> http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Atheros-based-router-with-sfp-port_1979360314.html
>>
>> http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Factory-OEM-Ralink-3052-300M-OpenWrt_1923358888.html
>>
>> I am under the impression however, that SFP+ is needed for gig
>> uplinks. Not that 100Mbit
>> is bad...
>
> No.  SFP was originally 1 gigabit (1000 mbit) over fiber only.  Now it
> can be 100/1000 megabit dual-mode copper or fiber or 10/100/1000
> megabit tri-mode copper or fiber.  SFP+ is 10 gigabit.  There are
> other speeds as well, but those are used for things like Fibre
> Channel, SONET, ATM, etc. rather than Ethernet.
>
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Joel Wirāmu Pauling <joel at aenertia.net> wrote:
>> > Put as many pairs as you can fit into the conduit to leave quite a lot of
>> > slack (2-5metres)
>>
>> The specific question was what form of conduit (earth burial) would be sane?
>> This would be a ground burial thing where I would be comfortable with
>> ground buriable ethernet, no conduit (it's a forest), but fiber looks more
>> fragile.
>>
>> > We bury our splitters with ofdm break outs in waterproof boxes every 500m -
>> > 2km or so for the GPON roll out and blow the Fibre to the premise from the
>> > split.
>>
>> Residences and yurts are spaced about every 3 meters in distinct subsections.
>>
>> > Burying splinter boxes prevents vandalism/flooding issues and
>> > accidents.
>>
>> This is a campground in california. Amusingly, a few hours after we started
>> eagerly discussing digging up the ground, it started pouring rain. I'm going
>> to put "discuss fiber deployment" into my bag of drought-ending tricks...
>>
>> >Con's you have to dig it up every time you want to connect
>> > another pair into the ofdm. Fibre blower kit is expensive.
>>
>> I saw that a fiber blower box was 6k. There seem to be daily rentals
>> available...

There are also tools less expensive than a blower like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6AEBN6?pldnSite=1

Too tedious and unreliable? Lord knows it's hard to crimp ground
burial cat6 gel.... takes me 6 tries every time, and if fiber is harder,
oh, my....

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/make-wifi-fast