[Cerowrt-devel] Questions about the use of HTB & fq_codel in simple.qos, simplest.qos

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 17:35:09 EDT 2015

I've been thinking about the message we're sending re: QoS/prioritization vs SQM, and I'm not clear on what our story is. Here's what I understand:

- On one hand, we say that good SQM algorithms (fq_codel, for example) will do an astonishingly good job of minimizing latency without any parameters (except perhaps link speed for slow bottlenecks)

- On the other hand, our example sqm-scripts (simplest.qos, simple.qos) have a HTB based shaper installed that (if I understand Dave Täht's description below) seems designed to limit the rate of various kinds of traffic before it gets to fq_codel. (The HTB shaper would, a priori, require some kind of configuration/parameter.)

My questions:

- Why do we provide an HTB-based shaper in simple.qos and simplest.qos?
- Do the shapers in these sqm-scripts actually limit bandwidth for various kinds of traffic? Might that not leave unused bandwidth?
- Or do they just shunt certain packets to higher or lower priority fq_codel tiers/bands/levels (terminology used in Dave's note below)?
- And if the latter, how does the "link" (I'm not sure of the proper term) know which of the tiers/bands/levels to dequeue next?

I'll state up front that I'm not entirely clear on the distinction between shapers, qdisc's, IFBs, etc. But I'm groping around for a simple, clear recommendation for what we should tell people to do so they can:
	a) Make their router work very well, with minimal latency
	b) Spend their time more usefully than tweaking QoS/priority settings (for example, by actually playing the game that whose lag you're trying to minimize :-)

Many thanks!

Rich