[Cerowrt-devel] Routed LANs vs WOL & Windows troubles

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sat Apr 11 13:01:39 EDT 2015

Chaps,

Newcomer to Openwrt & the Cerowrt concepts so bear with me.  I've built
an Openwrt environment based on Archer C7 hardware and 'Cerowrt'
principles of 'Routed LANs' for GigE LAN, Wireless LAN1 & Wireless
LAN2.  I get the design idea of limiting broadcast/multicast traffic on
the wireless LANs however for a vaguely technical home I'm hitting
problems that make things 'just not work', to the extent of thinking
about going back to bridged LAN/WLAN.  So the 3 problems in ascending
order of annoyance/confusion.

1)  I've a central Windows based Home Server (WHS) with a Wake On Lan
facility - it dozes until a client appears on LAN/WLAN, sends a WOL
Magic packet.  Unfortunately the WOL Magic packets don't cross subnets
and the vast majority of clients are of the wireless variety.  Some sort
of WOL forwarding/proxying on the router would seem the way to go.  Has
anyone been here/solved it already?

2) I have a 'WSD' printer/multifunction device on the LAN, an Epson
something or other.  It can communicate across subnets (ping) without
issue but it always appears 'offline' as a WSD printer.  I can use the
scanner functionality no problem at all :-)

3) Windows and its firewall.  Windows likes its firewall on.  It only
likes to talk to things on the local attached subnet.  Windows by
default won't reply to pings across subnets and it certainly doesn't
like doing file sharing.  It would be wonderful if there was a nice easy
way (via DHCP?) of telling it 'trust 172.30.42/24' (or even my IPV6
equivalent /56)  Has anyone else fallen in to this?  Solved it?

4) (A bonus Monty Python question)  I've a second wireless access point
at the other end of the garden, attached by a suitable length of Cat 6.
Devices at mid travel point ideally roam from House wifi to Shed
wifi...but now they change IP address as well.  To be honest I'm not
sure how this actually works in a bridged environment either since the
MAC now migrates from local wireless bridge interface to local wired
interface and potentially back again as I wander around the garden...how
does it really know where to send frames to this magically roaming device?

It appears a lot of 'it just works' functionality is designed for
bridged LAN/WLAN scenarios and hates routed but maybe I've got the wrong
end of a stick.

Thanks for your time,

Kevin