[Cerowrt-devel] Routed LANs vs WOL & Windows troubles

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sun Apr 12 07:57:18 EDT 2015

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> writes:

> 4) (A bonus Monty Python question) I've a second wireless access point
> at the other end of the garden, attached by a suitable length of Cat
> 6. Devices at mid travel point ideally roam from House wifi to Shed
> wifi...but now they change IP address as well. To be honest I'm not
> sure how this actually works in a bridged environment either since the
> MAC now migrates from local wireless bridge interface to local wired
> interface and potentially back again as I wander around the
> garden...how does it really know where to send frames to this
> magically roaming device?

Dunno about the rest of your list, but I have successfully set up
multiple access points with roaming by using VLANs between them. Of
course VLAN-aware switches help, but if you have the access points
connected directly via a wire, you can use the VLAN support in openwrt,
to basically bridge the wifi interfaces of the two access points. That
way you avoid the problems with broadcasting across the LAN/WLAN border,
but can still get roaming on the same IP subnet. You'll want to have one
access point running DHCP, and the other just being passively serving as
the access point.

This can be setup via openwrt config files; can share my config if
you're interested.

> It appears a lot of 'it just works' functionality is designed for
> bridged LAN/WLAN scenarios and hates routed but maybe I've got the
> wrong end of a stick.

For some things, having the reflector functionality of avahi-daemon
turned on somewhere it can see both subnets helps on discovery and 'just
works'-iness :)

-Toke