[Cerowrt-devel] Recording RF management info _and_ associated traffic?

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:40:00 EST 2015

On 01/20/2015 11:59 AM, Rich Brown wrote:

> One of the first things I would do is a Wifi site survey, to look for
> conflicts between access points/channels, etc. Two recommendations
> for tools:
>
> MacOSX: WiFi Explorer from Adrian Granados - US$4.99 from the Mac App
> Store. http://www.adriangranados.com/apps/wifi-explorer Android: WiFi
> Analyzer from farproc - Donationware from the Android store.
> https://sites.google.com/site/farproc/wifi-analyzer

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done that.

I'll offer up a 3rd choice which I have been using.  Horst.
Runs on OpenWrt perfectly and free.  I've not tried it on CeroWrt yet
but I don't see why it would not work.

http://br1.einfach.org/tech/horst/

With horst I've verified that the 3 AP's we are running are all on 5Ghz
channels that don't have another AP on them.  We are up on the 10th
floor of a tower type building and 3 of our walls have large windows
with clear views of surrounding buildings.  We are higher than most of
the stuff around us.

So when I scan I do see a lot of intermittent probes or wifi traffic
from other things but nothing cronic.  I haven't been able to run a scan
when it all goes to hell though.

With horst it shows me the DATA or QDATA packet among the radiotap info
and that the contents are encrypted  but I've not figured out how to
capture decrypted traffic at the same time as radiotap info.  This would
let me see exactly what sort of dynamic was happening from our network.

As an aside if any of the gurus here are near the Boston, MA area and
want to do small business Wi-Fi consulting let me know.  We will gladly
pay someone to fix our wireless.

--
Richard A. Smith