[Cerowrt-devel] Recording RF management info _and_ associated traffic?

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:59:41 EST 2015

On Jan 13, 2015, at 9:20 PM, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to track down some poor wireless issues we are having at work.  At random times the 5Ghz WLANs we have just go to hell.
>
> I've been sniffing in monitor mode which has been quite enlightening there's certainly a lot more going on in the 5Ghz channels than I was expecting.
>
> Monitor mode shows me loads of stuff I didn't know was there but what it doesn't show me is how all that other traffic interacts with the traffic on my ESS.
>
> From what I've been reading it seems like you with most cards you can't grab the 802.11 management info and actual traffic on the network at the same time.
>
> Is this possible with a WNDR3[78]00 CeroWRT (or openWRT) setup?

One of the first things I would do is a Wifi site survey, to look for conflicts between access points/channels, etc. Two recommendations for tools:

MacOSX: WiFi Explorer from Adrian Granados - US$4.99 from the Mac App Store. http://www.adriangranados.com/apps/wifi-explorer
Android: WiFi Analyzer from farproc - Donationware from the Android store. https://sites.google.com/site/farproc/wifi-analyzer

Rich