[Cerowrt-devel] Recording RF management info _and_ associated traffic?

Kelvin Edmison kelvin at edmison.net
Sat Jan 24 10:30:44 EST 2015

> On Jan 24, 2015, at 9:59 AM, dpreed at reed.com wrote:

> > > I like to put all the APs on the same ESSID so that people can roam
> > > between them. This requires that the APs act as bridges to a dedicated
> > > common network, not as routers.
> >
> > That's the ultimate plan but for convenience of being able to easily
> > select what AP I'm talking to or to be able to tell folks to move from
> > one to another I've got them on different ESSIDs. It also helps me keep
> > track of what RF channel things are on.
>
> A side comment, meant to discourage continuing to bridge rather than route.
> There's no reason that the AP's cannot have different IP addresses, but a common ESSID.  Roaming between them would be like roaming among mesh subnets. Assuming you are securing your APs' air interfaces using encryption over the air, you are already re-authenticating as you move from AP to AP.  So using routing rather than bridging is a good idea for all the reasons that routing rather than bridging is better for mesh.

Have the MDNS problems been addressed?  The last time I had a go with CeroWRT (about 6 months ago) the problems were too severe for me to keep using it.  I had to fall back to a bridged setup for my primarily Mac environment.

I'm a long-time Linux user-space developer but am a complete newbie when it comes to developing for CeroWRT. If someone can point me at the right spot to start working on the MDNS issues then I'll see if I can do anything to help.

Regards,
  Kelvin