[Cerowrt-devel] Recording RF management info _and_ associated traffic?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sat Jan 24 23:35:41 EST 2015

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015, dpreed at reed.com wrote:

>> > I like to put all the APs on the same ESSID so that people can roam
>> > between them. This requires that the APs act as bridges to a dedicated
>> > common network, not as routers.
>>
>> That's the ultimate plan but for convenience of being able to easily
>> select what AP I'm talking to or to be able to tell folks to move from
>> one to another I've got them on different ESSIDs. It also helps me keep
>> track of what RF channel things are on.
>

> A side comment, meant to discourage continuing to bridge rather than route.
>
> There's no reason that the AP's cannot have different IP addresses, but a
> common ESSID.  Roaming between them would be like roaming among mesh subnets.
> Assuming you are securing your APs' air interfaces using encryption over the
> air, you are already re-authenticating as you move from AP to AP.  So using
> routing rather than bridging is a good idea for all the reasons that routing
> rather than bridging is better for mesh.

The problem with doing this is that all existing TCP connections will break when
you move from one AP to another and while some apps will quickly notice this and
establish new connections, there are many apps that will not and this will cause
noticable disruption to the user.

Bridgeing allows the connections to remain intact. The wifi stack re-negotiates
the encryption, but the encapsulated IP packets don't change.

I do this with the wifi on it's own VLAN (actually separate VLANs for 2.4 and
5GHz) and have the APs configured not to relay broadcast traffic from one
wireless user to another. This cuts down a LOT on the problems of broadcasts.

In about a month I'm going to be running the wireless network for SCaLE again,
and I would be happy to instrament the network to gather whatever info anyone is
interested in. I will be using ~50 APs to handle the ~2800 or so devices that
show up, with the footprint of each AP roughly covering a small meeting room
(larger rooms have 2 APs in them, the largest room has 3, and I'm adding APs
this year to cover the hallways better because the ones in the rooms aren't
doing well enough at the low power settings I'm using)

David Lang