[Cerowrt-devel] failing to find the "declared victory" in a current wifi router
richb.hanover at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:23:50 EDT 2015
The OpenWrt firmware project is a "some assembly required" affair. Although it's not always easy to find, the site has a number of resources:
- Buyer's Guide at http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buyerguide
- The specific guidance to search Amazon for "OpenWrt" - see: http://amzn.to/1mONYr0
- The forum at: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewforum.php?id=10 mentions lots of routers
As for specific routers:
- The WNDR3800 remains our gold standard for CeroWrt builds. It'll do SQM up to ~30 mbps, then the CPU runs out of gas.
- Check the OpenWrt Table of Hardware (ToH) to see what other routers support the current stable 14.07/Barrier Breaker (BB) builds.
- Many people on this list have good luck with the TP-Link Archer C7 v2. I believe it'll route at cable speeds. I'm using it very successfully with OpenWrt BB release on a 7 mbps DSL line.
- If you have been following the Linksys WRT1900AC and WRT1200AC thread at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50173&action=new you'll see that the CC builds are sorta, kinda working. There are a lot of moving pieces still, and despite the CC RC2 status, stable builds only come out a few days apart. I would stay away from it if you're not willing to participate in a science experiment.
There is a team working to improve the OpenWrt site, but our work has not yet been "blessed" by the the admin's who maintain the core pages of the site.
On Jul 6, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
> Hi, all,
> I'm posting because of my recent frustration with the claim that
> bufferbloat solutions have been "pushed up into the OpenWRT and
> commercial routers.
> I spent the bulk of last weekend trying to find a COTS WIFI router that
> supported OpenWRT with bufferbloat (SQM) extensions.
> I tried a Linksys WRT1200AC, and here's what I found:
> - Kaloz's 23-Apr-2015 build installs fine and comes up
> with a web server (LUCI), but does NOT include SQM
> - trying to install the SQM packages fails
> due to a kernel version incompatibility
> (for a 23-Apr-2015 build?!)
> - CC-rc2 doesn't have a WRT1200AC build
> presumably I should have used mvebu-armada-385-linksys-caiman,
> but it's not at all clear
> - and I'd have to install LUCI and/or reinstall
> factory firmware from the command line, and none
> of that is all that clear, esp. a recovery route
> that doesn't involve voiding warranty to wire in
> a serial port
> Given the "declared victory" (http://www.bufferbloat.net/news/53),
> perhaps someone one one of these lists can explain why there's no clear
> information on a current device that supports a current build that
> actually supports these fixes?
> I.e., if you were trying to make this obscure, you're doing a very good job.
> Cerowrt-devel mailing list
> Cerowrt-devel at lists.bufferbloat.net
More information about the Cerowrt-devel