[Cerowrt-devel] failing to find the "declared victory" in a current wifi router

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:23:50 EDT 2015

Hi Joe,

The OpenWrt firmware project is a "some assembly required" affair. Although it's not always easy to find, the site has a number of resources:
	- Buyer's Guide at http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buyerguide
	- The specific guidance to search Amazon for "OpenWrt" - see: http://amzn.to/1mONYr0
	- The forum at: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewforum.php?id=10 mentions lots of routers

As for specific routers:
	- The WNDR3800 remains our gold standard for CeroWrt builds. It'll do SQM up to ~30 mbps, then the CPU runs out of gas.
	- Check the OpenWrt Table of Hardware (ToH) to see what other routers support the current stable 14.07/Barrier Breaker (BB) builds.
	- Many people on this list have good luck with the TP-Link Archer C7 v2. I believe it'll route at cable speeds. I'm using it very successfully with OpenWrt BB release on a 7 mbps DSL line.
	- If you have been following the Linksys WRT1900AC and WRT1200AC thread at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50173&action=new you'll see that the CC builds are sorta, kinda working. There are a lot of moving pieces still, and despite the CC RC2 status, stable builds only come out a few days apart. I would stay away from it if you're not willing to participate in a science experiment.

There is a team working to improve the OpenWrt site, but our work has not yet been "blessed" by the the admin's who maintain the core pages of the site.

Best,

Rich Brown