[Cerowrt-devel] failing to find the "declared victory" in a current wifi router

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 7 20:48:11 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Rich Brown wrote:

> The WNDR3800 remains our gold standard for CeroWrt builds. It'll do SQM up to ~30 mbps, then the CPU runs out of gas.

Could someone on this list please quantify what "the CPU runs out of
gas" means?  Is this when steaming full-bandwidth?  What happens when
this threshold is reached?

I'm concerned because my Comcast service runs at 60 Mbps (nominal),
and we have been having some intermittent glitches with Netflix.  I'm
running the last CeroWrt release that Dave Taht published, with
default SQM profile enabled.  In the interest of family harmony, I've
never sat in front of the TV while watching the real-time status on
the router, to see if it's even getting close to or going over 30
Mbps.  There's usually little else happening on the LAN while Netflix
is on.

If I am saturating the router (SQM), I'd like to find a better HW
solution.  However, it seems like getting CeroWRT going on the various
Linksys AC1200/1900 models is not as straightforward as on the
WNDR3800.

- Jim

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us