[Cerowrt-devel] failing to find the "declared victory" in a current wifi router

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 21:34:29 EDT 2015

Thanks all for the comments. Sebastian has indicated our direction well. Here are more details about our process for making the Table of Hardware less inscrutable.

We are updating the Table of Hardware (ToH) of the OpenWrt wiki to be generated from a series of "Technical data" templates. We have already scraped the info from the current ToH into separate Technical Data templates for each of the routers listed there (~912 of them). When we're done, this will have the following benefits:

- There can be multiple ToH's. Obviously, there will be the main one with a selection of columns that show the most important info for the general reader. We can also have a "Supported in Current Release" ToH, a WIP ToH, a "Last Supported Release was Attitude Adjustment" ToH, etc.
- People update the info in the template when they learn more. That info automagically flows into all the ToH's
- In addition, the information from the Technical Detail pages can go into a router's "Details Page". The maintainer can add one or more "datatable"s that select fields from Technical Data templates, and display the info as a table in a router's details page.
- Each router's info will need to be maintained. If nobody updates the technical data to indicate the router works with the (soon to be released) CC, then that router will automatically fall out of the "Supported in Current Release" ToH.

I wish we were a couple weeks farther along so you could see it in action. (We have a prototype running now, but we're reluctant to open it to the world, as it's running on a RPi :-) You can view the current fields we have identified for the Technical Data template at: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/dataentry_template

We could use some help:

a) Please review the Technical Data template's fields, and let us know if any are not clear.

b) If you're terminally curious about or thoughts/process, you can read the forum thread (!) at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=282707

c) We need some help from OpenWrt admins to make some progress. I have a ticket filed on dev.openwrt.org for three weeks with no response, and an email to an admin outstanding for two weeks. Does anyone know a good way to contact them? Thanks.

Rich