[Cerowrt-devel] Is ingress QoS worth the pain?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:47:58 EDT 2015

Please note our mail server is failing and I am pulling together the
resources and time to replace it. (if anyone has a good antispam setup
and some time, that would be nice)

It is sorting through an enormous backlog now.

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Steven Barth <cyrus at openwrt.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> again a bit of a basic question, but what are the advantages of doing
> ingress shaping in SQM?
>
> To me it wastes a lot of CPU cycles (decreases forwarding performance)
> and you can't really "unsend" any packets from the ISP. What I mean is
> in 99% of cases your internal forwarding capacity is usually (much?)
> bigger than what the ISP sends to at any rate.

Do you want hundreds of ms, or even seconds, induced latency on your
link because your ISP massively overbuffers at their end on their
shaper?

"Here ya go! 100Mbits of bandwidth... but when you use it, stop
playing your game, 'cause you are going to get fragged!"

http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2014/05/disabling-shaping-in-one-direction-with.html

> What do I miss here? Some effects on TCP rate-limiting?

yep.

The ideal answer is for the ISP gear to have a shaper that works well
at all speeds for their customers.

> Cheers,
>
> Steven

What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast