[Cerowrt-devel] ingress rate limiting falling short

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 02:00:02 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote this up on my blog, where I can intersperse text and graphs a bit
> better:
>
> http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2015/06/htb-rate-limiting-not-quite-lining-up.html
>
> Basically, I ran a series of tcp_download tests, using increasing ingress
> rates with sqm_scripts, and then used flent's box-plots to put the results
> into a combined image for comparing.

Excellent approach, thank you.

> On the 3800, it never meets the rate, but it's only off by maybe 5%.  But on
> my new WRT1900AC, it's wildly off, even over the same performance range (I
> tested it from 80-220Mbps rates in 20Mbps jumps, and saw from 40-150Mbps.
>
> I have no idea where to start looking for the cause.  But for now, I'm just
> setting my ingress rate MUCH higher than I should, because it's working out
> to the right value as a result.

Me, having been at nanog all day, where I accidentally wiped out my
vpn servers (while having a deep conversation about quagga),
simultaneously terrified of losing the mail server and trying to fix
it..., and now (11PM PDT) having succeeded in uncrashing the email
server, and sorted through a zillion documents on how to do antispam,
and having also built 7 new virtual servers for flent, and restored my
vpn partially, and nuked 27,000 files that were clogging up the
works...

...am going to bed. (after driving 2 hrs home).

It would have been nice to have got the "fedora 22 uses fq_codel by
default!" email and had a little more time left over for dancing
before this email. ;)

Why do we do this?

For SCIENCE!

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/4673932/For+science/

gnight!

What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast