[Cerowrt-devel] performance numbers from WRT1200AC (Re: Latest build test - new sqm-scripts seem to work; "cake overhead 40" didn't)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jun 23 08:55:30 EDT 2015

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Sebastian Moeller wrote:

> 	Most likely not. Check http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm .
> Rich published a great set of instructions for setting up sqm-scripts
> under openwrt proper.

I tried it on Linksys WRT1200AC with OpenWrt CC RC2. I configured sqm to
have 800 megabit/s each direction, and ran iperf3 over IPv4 with NAT44
from Linux box behind WRT1200AC to an OSX macbook connected on a switch on
the same L2 subnet as the WAN port.

Linux <->WRT1200AC<->switch<->OSX

I get 765 megabit/s of throughput using single session, at sirq load of
around 25%. If I lower the mss to 300 (to generate higher pps) I get
around 560 megabit/s of throughput at 50% sirq. With 10 parallel TCP
sessions, I get about the same. At MSS of 200 bytes, I get 400 megabit/s
at 70% sirq.

If I turn off SQM completely, I get 600 megabit/s at 200 byte MSS single
session at 80% sirq and 930 megabit/s at 26% sirq with default MSS.

So if you want high performing device that is OpenWRT compatible and still
does forwarding using CPU so you can test queuing algorithms, the
WRT1200AC and WRT1900ACv2 is the best I have been able to find currently
(unless you go for x86 platform).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se