[Cerowrt-devel] performance numbers from WRT1200AC (Re: Latest build test - new sqm-scripts seem to work; "cake overhead 40" didn't)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 01:18:44 EDT 2015

your results are showing basically tail drop behavior. Although I
would have expected intrinsic delay on the link to crack 100mbits on
the rrul test, not 20ms (which is still high), and you only hit 7 on
the single threaded tcp up test, based on what I saw in the driver.

turn off sqm, stay at 100mbit, let fq_codel ride, try the rrul_50_up
test. Also do a capture to see if CE was ever exerted.

I do not know why my linksys ac1200 build does not work. I generally
suspect it is because my big build server is getting ancient. Can you
send me your .config file for openwrt?

It would be VERY helpful if you pulled from ceropackages-3.14, and
added and built kmod-sched-cake and tc-adv and switched to using the
ceropackages feed also for luci-app-sqm and sqm-scripts. There are a
couple people here that would probably leap on that! :)

add to your feeds.conf

src-git https://github.com/dtaht/ceropackages-3.10.git

./scripts feeds update
./scripts feeds install kmod-sched-cake tc-adv kmod-sched-fq_pie
edit the .config file to make them modules or installed by default
make menuconfig then save
make

I went through hell trying to to figure out how to switch over to the
cero versions of these. If yer doing the builds, I could try hacking
the BQL. Maybe. In sweden.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> Yes, but I am unsure from looking at the driver that using ethtool on the
>> egress on the wrt1200ac will actually work, but pretty sure it will work if
>> you set it on the server. feel free to try both. :)
>

> I set speed 100 on my switch and did some new tests, I left SQM at 500M,
> don't know what happens then, thought it was worthwile to test? Remember,
> now I don't have fq_codel in the server->client direction, but there it's an
> low buffered switchport that is doing the rate adaptation.
>
> Btw, now I am running a nightly build that I compiled for myself for the
> WRT1200AC, so if there is anything you would like me to try to change in the
> mvneta driver, I can certainly test that. I can do serial console access to
> the WRT1200AC if needed as well, I already "unbricked" it once.
>
> Btw, disregard the title in the flent files, I just realised I forgot to
> change the title argument. This is without iperf3, with SQM set to 500M, but
> eth0 at 100megabit/full duplex.
>
> http://swm.pp.se/aqm/wrt1200ac-150627-100m-sqm.tar

worldwide bufferbloat report:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/bufferbloat
And:
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast