[Cerowrt-devel] performance numbers from WRT1200AC (Re: Latest build test - new sqm-scripts seem to work; "cake overhead 40" didn't)

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Jun 29 14:24:52 EDT 2015

Hi List,

On Jun 29, 2015, at 18:44 , Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 6:42 AM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>> HI Mikael,, hi Jonathan,
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> These are the results from 50M and 500M, also including 50up and 50down that I added to my test suite script.
>>>
>>> http://swm.pp.se/aqm/rrul_150629-cake-4.tar
>>>

>> Now both ingress and egress are up to roughly 455Mbps from roughly 360 with cake just playing leaf qdisc for HTB. This looks even better than before…
>
> 350 *usec* induced delay on the 50mbit rrul_be test. w00t!
>
> Most of the tests compare well with the reference rangeley data now. I
> would like a 900mbit soft shaped result.

	Make sure to use the correct per packet overhead of 18 + 20, on gigabit ethernet inter-frame gap and preamble cost 20 Bytes worth of data. So with a MTU of 1500 thee is no issue (900 * (1538/1518) = 911.85770751 Mbps) but the smaller the packets get:

900 * (MTU+38/MTU+18) = 1000
(MTU+38/MTU+18) = (1000 / 900)
MTU+38 = (10 / 9) * (MTU + 18)
MTU + 38 = (10/9) * MTU + (10/9)*18
38 - (10/9)*18 = (10/9) * MTU - (9/9)MTU
38 - (10/9)*18 = (1/9) MTU
MTU = (38 - ((10/9)*18))*9  = 162
So for TCP/IPv4 MSS < 122 the shaper will not keep the ethernet hardware queues empty…

On the other hand shaping at
1000/(88/64) = 727.272727273 Mbps
should make sure that even at minimal packet size of 64byte shaping would still be keeping the ethernet queues “empty-ish”. If the 1200ac can shape at 900 I would rather specify the correct overhead though.

To make things a bit trickier, depending on the interface used the kernel will already account for the standards ethernet header without the frame check sequence, so I would guess in the 900Mbps soft shaper on ethN scenario one would need to add a per packet overhead of 24 bytes. If someone in the know could double check that reasoning I would be much obliged…

Best Regards
	Sebastian