[Cerowrt-devel] A simple poll

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 16:09:00 EST 2015

On Feb 28, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> A) What do you like about cerowrt?

- It just works
- It gives me a lot of cool features that I rely on (no bufferbloat, IPv6, routing on interfaces) and some that I don't (DNSSEC, babel)
- Pride in my (small) contribution to the project
- I own plenty of WNDR3800's, so I'll keep using it :-)

> B) What brought to you cerowrt?

I followed a link to the project in late 2011, and for whatever reason, I believed in the goal that you were seeking. I saw a latent gem of an idea, and the drive to make it go, but the website was disorganized. It was too hard to separate the features that were real and working, and those that were fond hopes, but were *way* out on the horizon. Dave let me edit the wiki, and you know the rest.

> C) Where do you want the project to go?

It may be time to declare victory on "fixing home routers". Since BB & CC have embraced virtually all the stuff we've pioneered, there doesn't seem to be much advantage to more development in that vein.

Maybe it is time to pivot the CeroWrt brand name to "making wifi fast".

> D) What can you do to help cerowrt?

I'll keep editing web sites and testing software. I'll also continue to offer words of encouragement.

> E) what can you do to help openwrt?

ENOTIME. But if there were a single thing they could do to help their ease-of-use (and therefore their popularity), it would be to make it drop-dead easy to find the proper firmware for a router from their Supported Devices page (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start). It should be a single click to download the BB or CC version from that page.

Anyone know who would I write to at OpenWrt to make this suggestion?

Rich