[Cerowrt-devel] DOCSIS 3+ recommendation?

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Mon Mar 16 16:35:32 EDT 2015

Hi cerowrt-devel,

My cable internet provider (Comcast) has been pestering me (monthly email
and robocalls) to upgrade my cable modem to something newer. But I _like_
my current one (no wifi, battery backup) and it's been very stable and can
handle the data rates I am paying for. But they are starting to roll out
faster service plans and I guess it would be good to have that option (and
eventually they will probably boost the speed of the plan I'm paying for).
So...

Any recommendations for cable modems that are known to be solid and less
bufferbloated?

I (like probably everyone on this list) will have router doing SQM/etc
connected to the device, so that reduces the damage large buffers in it can
do, but it would still be good to have something that designed well and to
reward a vendor that's paying attention.

My personal ideal is a simple device, cable-in gig ethernet out, and does
not have wifi, usb, do NAT, etc. (that's what cerowrt on the router/AP is
for). Are there DOCSIS 3.1 devices available yet? Or if those aren't
available/affordable, maybe an inexpensive but good 3.0?

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org