[Cerowrt-devel] SQM and PPPoE, more questions than answers...

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 09:49:44 EDT 2015

Hi Seb, I have one last suspicion on this topic

On 19/03/15 08:29, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> My question still is, is the bandwidth sacrifice really necessary or is this test just showing a corner case in simple.qos that can be fixed. I currently lack enough time to tackle this effectively.

>> I saw the same, though with higher difference for egress rate.  See first three files here:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/shwz0l7j4syp2ea/AAAxrhDkJ3TTy_Mq5KiFF3u2a?dl=0
>>
>> [netperf-wrapper noob puzzle: most of the ping lines vanish part-way through.  Maybe I failed it somehow.]
> 	This is not your fault, the UDP probes net-perf wrapper uses do not accept packet loss, once a packet (I believe) is lost the stream stops. This is not ideal, but it gives a good quick indicator of packet loss for sparse streams ;)
Thinking about this, I remembered the issue that sqm de-priotises ICMP
ping.  (Back when I used betterspeedtest and netperf-runner, I did
assume this would be an issue).

I also notice that my test with eth1 (disabling classification) is the
only one where UDP ping (including UDP EF) is visible for any time at
all.  (ok, pppoe-wan shows UDP BK, and it very clearly gets higher
latency as I would expect).

So I don't know if your results were clearer, but the results I showed
so far should be treated as a measurement problem.