[Cerowrt-devel] [Commotion-dev] Commotion Router v1.2 enters release testing

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:48:33 EDT 2015

my hope is that you are also including the sqm-scripts or something similar
with this release?

We have it in chaos calmer, I am not sure if the backport made it to
barrier breaker yet.

I've always viewed one of the biggest problems with sharing bandwidth as
sharing it well.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero2/jimreisert/results.html

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Josh King <jking at opentechinstitute.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've just entered release testing for our v1.2 release of Commotion
> Router! We have testing images available below:
>
> https://downloads.commotionwireless.net/router/1.2rc1/
>
> The v1.2 release will include the following new features:
> * Upgraded to OpenWRT Barrier Breaker as a base, providing better
> performance, additional router support, and many other improvements.
> * The nodogsplash splash screen has been replaced with a fork of
> luci_splash, allowing for less resource usage.
> * The addition of the new commotion-dnsproxy means that the splash
> screen will work even when there is no internet gateway available.
> * Better support for different wifi countrycodes and radios that support
> more than one band.
> * v2.0 of Commotion Service Manager, for better reliability and less
> resource usage.
> * A new upgrade utility, that provides for forward compatibility and
> signed images.
> * Built with a new buildsystem that makes it easier to support multiple
> hardware platforms and build images more quickly and consistently.
> * Numerous bugfixes and upgrades.
>
> If you're interested in helping with testing, just let us know! More
> hands make the testing process go quickly (hopefully everything will go
> great and we can release next week!). We have a fairly thorough testing
> protocol that you can use, which we've been using since early stages of
> the previous release:
>

> https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/#folders/0B38UMlgDzTMPfk9JWDFKUGE1UFZTVGtHQzJtOV8wWVUtWTAtNTloYkxwSTh3UmxfSkt6SDQ
>
> There are a few things to be aware of with these images:
> * The new images for the upgrade utility of the extension '.bundle', but
> they can also be used in previous versions of Commotion without any
> problems. These can not be used for flashing a router from stock
> firmware, which is why we also still provide 'factory.bin' images.
> * Even though the new upgrade utility has the capability for signing
> images, these images are not signed. Final v1.2 release images will be
> signed.
> * These images do not yet contain upgrade scripts for the new splash
> screen. If you upgrade an existing Commotion install while saving
> settings and the splash screen doesn't work, please try reflashing
> without saving settings reporting that the splash screen doesn't work.
> * During development, we experienced an intermittent issue with Barrier
> Breaker being more sensitive to low memory conditions, triggering the
> out of memory killer and rebooting the node. If your node reboots during
> testing, you may be running into this issue. We figure more testers and
> more data will help us track it down if it's still a problem.
>
> Anyway, if you want to help with testing, please try out the images and
> let us know how it goes. Otherwise, we'll be releasing final, stable and
> supported v1.2 images as soon as we conclude with testing. Thanks!

> [...]

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb