[Cerowrt-devel] [openwrt sqm howto] adsl is confusing - you may end up setting well above 100% of the speed test result!

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Mon May 11 02:58:33 EDT 2015

On 11/05/15 02:24, Rich Brown wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for your note. I noticed the same effect on my DSL link - the SQM up/download speeds in the web GUI wound up at the sync speeds of my modem (the modem's gui to shows those speeds) and the latency stays under control. (I did try setting them higher, but got into bloat trouble...)
>
> I decided to move the DSL info into a new section on tuning SQM. See: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm?&#a_little_about_tuning_sqm
>
> Does this match your understanding? Thanks!

That looks good.  As a DSL user I might feel disappointed if the
instructions told me to reduce speed tests by over 20%, then left it to
me to work out the rest.  And then what I worked out were figures that
didn't seem to make sense :).

- I think the last three sections should be sub-sections of "The longer
description".  They're like an appendix after the howto itself.

- You've catered to DSL users, but now the information about cable
SpeedBoost is relegated to the appendix.  Maybe fair for the moment as
we don't have a concrete instruction for a "longer test".  I've used
testmy.net which lets you specify download & uploads in megabytes if you
want, so maybe that's what it needs.

- Thanks for writing up the install steps!  I think those are really
helpful, particularly when we encourage new people to try OpenWrt and SQM.

Alan