[Cerowrt-devel] [openwrt sqm howto] adsl is confusing - you may end up setting well above 100% of the speed test result!

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Mon May 11 14:05:12 EDT 2015

On 11/05/15 14:12, Rich Brown wrote:
> HI Alan,
>
> Thanks for these thoughts.
>
> On May 11, 2015, at 2:58 AM, Alan Jenkins
> <alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/05/15 02:24, Rich Brown wrote:
>>> Hi Alan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your note. I noticed the same effect on my DSL link -
>>> the SQM up/download speeds in the web GUI wound up at the sync
>>> speeds of my modem (the modem's gui to shows those speeds) and
>>> the latency stays under control. (I did try setting them higher,
>>> but got into bloat trouble...)
>>>
>>> I decided to move the DSL info into a new section on tuning SQM.
>>> See:
>>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm?&#a_little_about_tuning_sqm

Does this match your understanding? Thanks!

That looks even better :).

nitpick: "these settings simply tell SQM/fq_codel how to make up for
that overhead"

The ATM settings don't apply to fq_codel, rather the htb shaper.  It
might be more technically accurate to write "SQM" instead of "SQM/fq_codel".

Alan