[Cerowrt-devel] The form of some somewhat negative feedback on the fcc letter so far

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 08:53:35 EDT 2015

It appears as though my comment has been held for review, probably due
to containing links.

For the record:

Dear Richard:

Thank you very much for actually doing something of an in depth
analysis of the letter to
the FCC and our proposed solutions for, among other things, improving
network security, and making wifi much better.

It will take quite a bit of time to unpack all you said above, but in
terms of factual corrections (such as the actual inception date of
wifi - which I date mostly to the fairly common arrival of 802.11 and
more fully put at 802.11b as to when things settled down for interop)
or making suggestions to the ongoing make-wifi-fast project, the
design and engineering document IS public, and available for your and
your readership's direct comments on it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Se36svYE1Uzpppe1HWnEyat_sAGghB3kE285LElJBW4/edit#

Which it appears you have commented on already - on oct 20. We were
kind of busy that day. :)

Most of the technical problems with wifi, particularly in the linux
stack, we've identified and intend to fix are in that document.

As another note:

The CeroWrt project effectively ended 2 years ago, and fixed
bufferbloat on dsl, cable, ethernet, fiber, and other isochronous
transports. The fq_codel algorithm is now a quite common
shaper/fq/aqm/QoS system in modern linux based software, and the
standardization process in the ietf is nearly complete. Another
similar aqm algorithm, called pie, is now the standard for docsis 3.1.

This was not a hobby project. It consists of hundreds of researchers,
with hundreds of research papers published on it in the 5 years of
it's existence.

We have (as part of make-wifi-fast) been working on applying similar
algorithms to wifi, and we are *well aware*, as you will see from the
document above, of many of the other problems wifi has. We do think,
however, that with everyone working together, on all these problems!
we can make wifi a lot better. If you would like to engage us with
your experience and expertise, please join the make-wifi-fast list at
https://lists.bufferbloat.net and if you would like to discuss with us
the letter to the fcc that list is at
http://lists.redbarn.org/mailman/listinfo/bufferbloat-fcc-discuss

And I will go approve/modify your proposed changes to the
make-wifi-fast document in a second.
Dave Täht
I just invested five years of my life to making wifi better. And,
now... the FCC wants to make my work, illegal for people to install.
https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi