[Cerowrt-devel] On an org and on joining the software patent non-aggression community

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 09:20:36 EDT 2015

Over the last 5 years or so the open inventions network has grown by
leaps and bounds.
http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/community-of-licensees/

Here in the bufferbloat pits... instead of joining that, we worked
really hard to make sure codel went out into the public domain
unpatented - for anyone to use, and so far, so good on that....

But there are so many IP landmines ahead (and behind) that it makes
sense for at least CeroWrt/make-wifi-fast to now join with a group
like OIN for mutual defense against the trolls. I think. Maybe.

Perhaps other groups like gargoyle or dd-wrt should also join, if they
have not already.

In particular, lots of lots of chip producers have joined OIN of late,
and with probably lots of IP to share. To name just a few: Avago,
Cavium, Cadence, Cavium, DSP, Mellanox, Sequans, VIA, LG, CalAmp, etc.

If anyone here has any comments, positive or negative to make about
oin, or this course of action, please discuss. I have no idea how
companies like the Cisco's of the world, view OINs efforts.

i would not mind securing and then assigning to an oin, a hw patent or
two, myself. I think. A plaque on the wall would be nice, but I am
still wrapping my head around the implications of how oin relates to
hardware development....

In other news, actually making cerowrt and/or bufferbloat.net a functioning org
(non profit or for profit) is something on my mind - probably based in
europe (sweden or denmark). If anyone here would like to discuss that
(need a BOD,
articles of incorporation, etc), drop me a line off-list, and if
enough people are interested, we'll hash it out on some other list.

...Until now, I have generally taken care of paying all of cerowrt and
bufferbloat.net's misc bills, out of teeny little teklibre. All else
was provided by volunteers and orgs that cared enough to loan or
donate resources, which was pretty awesome. Total cash donations to
the whole five year effort from individuals was probably less than
about 15k, prior to the fcc letter fundraiser, which raised ~8k.

(I shudder to think of what the real costs were....)

As a non-org...

We benefited hugely from isc.org's hosting in particular, but they are
now shutting down ( :( ) that, and google funded the openwrt build
system for a while (grant now expired), and I survived on somewhat
non-related contracts with comcast and google fiber and misc others
and am still paying the last bills for the now-shut-down yurtlab, and
maintaining the sole remaining machine in the google compute build
cluster, (which I would like to spin up more fully as we try to get
homenet and make-wifi-fast more widely tested) - and I'm based at the
uni of karlstad in sweden presently...

So a ton of stuff has to move around... the dns servers and and web
servers have to move into the cloud soon...

...AND there may be a few grant opportunities arriving, that it would
be saner to A - have another/real org for, along with B - have better
housing against liabilities and new costs.

Another option, instead of forming a new org, would be to join
something like software for the public interest... get icei.org more
alive... or.. nl.net.

Nlnet.nl has the first small scale/small grant program/process (30k
typically) for sustaining engineering  that I have dealt with that I
have ever seen work - it is fast and easy - as since august they been
helping pay for jon's work on cake! - and they've been a joy to work
with, as was iis before them.

So A - forming an org, and B - getting protections for same - are
conflated, but what I mostly wanted to get out of my mailbox this
morning was the ideas behind OIN.

Anyway, below is the conversation I'd had a few weeks back with one of
the members of oin that convinced me we should look them over, and
that maybe now would be a good time to get the house more in order.

Dave Täht
I just invested five years of my life to making wifi better. And,
now... the FCC wants to make my work, illegal for people to install.
https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi