[Cerowrt-devel] USB3 or HDMI ethernet? - Are wires dead?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 10:50:01 EDT 2016

I wanted to be able to do wifi aircaps at scale,  So I figured I'd
load up a nuc with a bunch of usb wifi sticks. I got a w(hole bunch of
those - the horrors! the horrors that the drivers revealed...

then I ran across the compute stick phenomenon,

Holy cow, 59 dollars for an entire computer - with wifi on board.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/meet-mele-pcg02u-a-fanless-intel-bay-trail-pc-stick-running-ubuntu-14-t04-lts-503064.shtml?utm_content=bufferb3dfe&utm_medium=social&utm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The funny thing is that I didn't want to transfer the caps across the air...
I figured I could set up usb *networking*  on one of these, and it's
certainly fast enough to capture the air and drive tests. There are a
couple older models out there in the same price range...

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-STCK1A8LFC-Z3735F-Ubuntu/dp/B00W7KAABK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460990238&sr=8-1&keywords=ubuntu+compute+stick

and newer ones do 802.11ac.

But it asks a question - if basic wifi-only + compute has fallen so
low, is ethernet dead? Every TV I've seen has both ethernet and wifi,
I have no idea what percentage of real users are setting up ethernet
vs wifi on them. (anyone?)

What I sort of hope for is that your TV could become part of the
routing infrastructure in the house - *wired* - so you could attach
more devices to it that wouldn't need their own connections...

Can hdmi actually be used as part of a routing architecture? Could
USB3?  How far along is MOCA these days... You'd plug your compute
stick or handheld into the tv and boom, be online...

anyone know of a hackable modern tv? I - like many others - am really
temped by the 50 inch UHD tvs you can get now - to use as a monitor.
But although many tvs have a ton of open source components, I don't
know of any I can compile a new kernel for, or run babeld on.

Save BoatyMcBoatFace from extinction by humorless science ministers!
https://twitter.com/hashtag/boatymcboatface