[Cerowrt-devel] USB3 or HDMI ethernet? - Are wires dead?

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Apr 18 12:08:30 EDT 2016

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    > But it asks a question - if basic wifi-only + compute has fallen so
    > low, is ethernet dead? Every TV I've seen has both ethernet and wifi, I
    > have no idea what percentage of real users are setting up ethernet vs
    > wifi on them. (anyone?)

Ethernet is not dead for the reasons that wifi is bloated.
I know when my neighbours are watching their wifi "FIBE TV", because my wifi
tends to die.  (I think they do 802.11g without backoff to 802.11b)
*My* "TV" (Wii, OUYA) are on wires for this reason.

I consider jamming their AP... I suspect that apartment dwellers will begin
to learn to use the wire.

    > What I sort of hope for is that your TV could become part of the
    > routing infrastructure in the house - *wired* - so you could attach
    > more devices to it that wouldn't need their own connections...

I agree, it would be nice: the TV is big enough to put a pretty decent
antenna inside, and it's in the place where the people and devices are.

I personally didn't understand why TiVo didn't buy Skype ten years ago. TiVo
had simultaneous MP4 encode and decode and network; all it needed was a USB
camera on top of the TV, and it's a video phone.