[Cerowrt-devel] Fwd: License File for Open Source Repositories

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Fri Dec 23 14:44:45 EST 2016

My understanding is that it is already settled case law that contributed code to a GPL licensed projects implicitly grants a perpetual, royalty free license to use any applicable patent the author uses in the code.

Of course there is no case law regarding patent s in other licenses, in particular MIT and BSD, which have no strong copyleft provisions.

This issue of submarine patent traps is important in communications protocol invention. Protocol patents are far worse than software patents... IMO, communications protocols should never be property. IESG is struggling to create a middle ground, where there should be no middle, IMO.