[Cerowrt-devel] anyone tried a wrtnode?

Eric Johansson esj at eggo.org
Tue Jun 21 15:08:48 EDT 2016

On 6/21/2016 3:02 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Eric Johansson <esj at eggo.org> wrote:
>> I assume you've seen this list https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Ath9k
>>
>> I'm starting to play with mikrotek devices.  routeros is a consultants
>> full employment program so replacing it would be nice.
> I *knew* I was in the wrong business and backing the wrong play here.
> It is long past time that I start taking advantage of broken window
> economics. It would keep a roof over my head and the lights on, and
> affect the economy less, as building systems that worked well more of
> the time, as we keep trying to do here, would put so many out of work.

Assuming I can find enough consulting work, I want to spend some time
building a better way of interfacing with these devices. The vendor
supplied web interface is equivalent to someone giving you a big pile
parts and saying, here's a low-cost car, You just need to put it
together yourself.

I want to focus on a task oriented interface where its notation is built
on what we as network developers use, not what the capabilities of the
device are. I did before with IP cop, I think I can do it again for more
complex device. If I do it right, it should be able to be a good
interface for any switch/firewall.

 for too long, people have made network infrastructure device user
interfaces complicated. It's time to make them simple.