[Cerowrt-devel] Cross-compiling to armhf [was: beaglebone green wireless boards...]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:38:58 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>> The preinstalled OS has sufficient compiler and onboard flash space to
>> build a current babeld from git, and I'm happy to report IPV6_SUBTREES
>> is compiled in by default.
>
> Dave,
>
> It's not the first time that I notice with wonder that you're compiling on
> the devel boards.  Are you aware that cross-compiling babeld to armhf is
> so easy it's not even funny?
>
>   sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf
>   make CC=arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc

I ended up writing a long rant about this that I will blog one day...
but my short answer to both your suggestions that I cross compile or
install a docker: "You kids, get off my lawn!" :)

I have a tendency to need to compile things vastly more complex than
babel, often more bleeding edge than what is supplied in a repo, and
*knowing* that an apt-get build-dep something; then checking it out
from git head, will actually work with minimal effort, is a joy. The
latest generation of hackerboards are actually "real computers",
because they have a working, on-board compiler and full debian (and
android) support. They would be even more real if the Xwindow drivers
worked worth a damn and I could hook up a keyboard, or a variety of
more obscure languages (:cough: "go", "rust") actually worked, also.

I would love to one day soon be back on a world where I only had to
compile stuff for one architecture, and could spend more time writing
code rather than dealing with ABI differences. I am impressed with the
java port... Although I don't care for java much, it would be nice to
carry these new protocols into android somehow.

> Shncpd is a little bit trickier, since it depends on libbsd.  I think I'll
> remove the dependency before relase, but in the meantime you may either
> build yourself an armhf libbsd, or install libbsd0:armhf on your system
> (which requires setting up a multiarch environment), or set up
> a cross-compilation chroot, or simply copy libbsd.so from the target system.

Compiling natively, I don't have to think about that.

(does a working cross compiler exist for the aarch64 in the c2?)

http://blog.cerowrt.org