[Cerowrt-devel] [Babel-users] Why we are discussing ARM [was: Cross-compiling to armhf]

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sun Jun 26 15:02:44 EDT 2016

Hi Juliusz,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 07:59:10PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > I'd suggest to look into the Familiy of Olinuxino boards produced by
> > Olimex: https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/open-source-hardware
> > or one of their system-on-module boards.
>
> Ah, right.  I recall looking into them, but found their website confusing
> (too many models, difficult to find technical information without reading
> the schematics).  Which models exactly are you suggesting we look into?

The "Internet cube" project [1,2] uses the LIME and LIME2 boards:

  https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-LIME/open-source-hardware
  https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2/open-source-hardware

I think the only difference is the amount of RAM (512 MB vs. 1 GB) and the
NIC (100M vs. 1G).

The problem is that there is no onboard wifi, so you would have to use USB.

> Do you know how the Ethernet is hooked to the SoC?  I could be wrong, but
> I don't think Allwinner SoCs include GMII.

I suggest you look at the schematics (here for LIME2):

  https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/raw/master/HARDWARE/A20-OLinuXino-LIME2/A20-OLinuXino-Lime2_Rev_G.pdf

Looking quickly, this looks like a SPI interface.  I'm really not a
hardware expert though, so you'd better check yourself.

> Do they use upstream kernels, or their hacked up tree?

I'm told that the kernel in Jessie supports the LIME/LIME2 since a few months.
Before that, the Internet cube people where using the kernel from
jessie-backports.  See also:

  https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Supported_Platforms

Baptiste

[1] https://labriqueinter.net/