[Cerowrt-devel] odroid C1+ status

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 15:23:36 EST 2016

wow, thx for all the suggestions on alternate x86 router hardware... I
will read more later.

Would using a blog format for things like the following work better
for people? I could more easily revise, including graphics, etc,
etc... could try to hit on our hot buttons (upgradability, bloat,
reliability, kernel versions, manufacturer support) with some sort of
grading system...

http://the-edge.taht.net/post/odroid_c1_plus/ in this case

I got the odroid C1+ to work better. (either a cable or power supply
issue, I swapped both). On output it peaks at about 416Mbits with 26%
of cpu being spent in a softirq interrupt.  On input I can get it to
gbit, with 220% of cpu in use.

The rrul tests were pretty normal, aside from the apparent 400mbit
upload limit causing contention on rx/tx (at the moment I have no good
place to put these test results since snapon is now behind a firewall.
I'd like to get more organized about how we store and index these
results also)

There is no BQL support in the odroid driver for it, and it ships with
linux 3.10.80. At least its a LTS version.... I am totally unfamiliar
with the odroid ecosystem but maybe there is active kernel dev on it
somewhere?

(The pi 2, on the other hand, is kernel 4.1.17-v7 AND only has a
100mbit phy, so it is hard to complain about only getting 400mbit from
the odroid c1+, but, dang it, a much later kernel would be nice in the
odroid)

My goal in life, generally, is to have a set of boxes with known
characteristics to drive tests with, that are reliable enough to setup
once and ignore.

A) this time around, I definitely wanted variety, particularly in tcp
implementations, kernel versions, ethernet and wifi chips - as it
seemed like drawing conclusions from "perfect" drivers like the e1000e
all the time was a bad idea. We have a very repeatable testbed in
karlstad, already - I'm interested in what random sort of traffic can
exist on a home network that messes life up.

One of the things I noticed while using kodi is that the box announces
2k of multicast ipv4 packets every 30 seconds or so on the upnp
port... AND over 4k of multicast ipv6 packets, if ipv6 is enabled.

B) Need to be able to drive 802.11ac as hard as possible with as many
stations as possible.

C) needs to be low power and quiet (cheap is good too!)

Has anyone tried the banana pi? That's what comcast is using in their tests....