[Cerowrt-devel] [Make-wifi-fast] Will full-duplex be possible on 802.11 wired air?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 14:35:05 EST 2016

http://web.stanford.edu/~skatti/pubs/sigcomm13-fullduplex.pdf

http://phys.org/news/2013-10-kumu-networks-wireless-full-duplex.html

Someone, georgia tech I thought, had actually gone and built a chip to
do it. Can't find the link.

I have no doubt that we can construct ever more efficient devices,
what I have grave doubts about is given the billions of existing
devices pee-ing on the spectrum that there will be no way to actually
make an impact.

For christmas, I gave an  unhappy chromecast user the wired dongle.
Stuffing stockings full of that sort of stuff, repacing wifi for wired
wherever possible,
seems like the sanest option. I've been thinking of begging the
landlords around me to let me wire up their buildings and tenants for
ethernet, from 6pm onwards wifi is getting towards unusable.

In terms of complexity in serving multiple stations - as opposed to
full duplex...

The number of DSPs in the 802.11ac mac is well over 400, and MU-mimo,
as defined in the standard - really difficult to implement and use
effectively. The first MU-mimo capable chips (wave 2) are shipping
now, but

Not for the last time, I wish we'd got UWB off the ground. Only needed
236 notches cut out of the spectrum a decade ago to make the existing
spectrum holders happy.

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi