[Cerowrt-devel] Turris Omnia

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun Nov 6 16:54:58 EST 2016

I can't find any mailing list specifically about the Omnia, I hope
someone here may have some tips...

I've put my omnia into production, but the wireless is extremely
sub-optimal.

Things like the droid netinfo widget show 433 Mbps for the 11ac and 72
Mbps on the 2.4, but throughput sucks.

The thoughput seems backwards:  upload speeds eclipse download speeds.

I'm using it only for my 802.11 wlan; its "wan" interface is on my
primary switch, and I've set it for routing rather than bridging, with a
/27 for each of the 5.0 and 2.4 (and a /24 its wired lan ports, which
are not currently in use).

As an example, rsync/ssh/tcp/ip reports net throughput of around 6 Mbps
down on the 11ac, and around ten times that for upload.

I tried 40Mhz and 20Mhz as well as just 11n on the 5.0 and there was no
improvement over the 80Mhz 11ac.

I'm doing a (Gentoo) emerge sync right now on the laptop, which only
does 11n on 2.4.  That is almost OK for a change.  On the omnia,
luci/admin/status/overview reports 135 Mbps for both up and down
from/to the laptop (during said emerge sync).  And the rsync(1)
output looks like it may be updating about that fast.

That is vastly better than I previously saw.

But even so, the 5.0 radio still never shows more than a 6Mbps download
speed and spikes of up to 300 Mbps upload.

I can't find anything online about backwards throughput for  802.11.
The only search results talk about wan links rather than wlan links.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to diagnose or fix this?

Thanks,

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6