[Cerowrt-devel] anybody know anything about the armada 3700?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 12:18:21 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 2:46 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, Dave Taht wrote:
>

>> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/874883570/marvell-espressobin-board?token=6a67e544
>

> Oh, oh, another device with a "packet processor".
>
> http://www.marvell.com/embedded-processors/assets/Marvell-88F37xx-Product-Brief-20160830.pdf
>
> Do we know anything about this packet processor and FOSS support for it? I
> guess the "buffer manager" is very much of interest to anti-bufferbloat...

Well, it's a competitor to the edgerouter X pricewise, and my hope
would be with the cache coherent I/O and the arm v8s that it could
push 1Gbit with ease out each port, regardless of offloads. USB3 makes
for high speed nas capability, (although I have high hopes for usb-c
on something router-ish someday). Also I am gradually thinking we'll
start seeing more 2.5gbit ethernet over TP. And there's a mini-pcie
slot for wifi-card-of-choice...

all at a pricepoint that's lower than almost anything I've seen with
these capabilities.

Who knows, perhaps the "full SDK" will allow for programming the
packet coprocessor?
/me drinks some kool-aid

Downsides: Globalscale, historically, has had heat issues in their
designs. And it is quite far from shipping, as yet.

http://blog.cerowrt.org