[Cerowrt-devel] BBR congestion control algorithm for TCP innet-next

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Sep 21 02:24:25 EDT 2016

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, dpreed at reed.com wrote:

> I constantly see the claim that >50% of transmitted data on the Internet
> are streaming TV. However, the source seems to be as hard to nail down
> as the original claim that >50% of Internet traffic was pirated music
> being sent over bittorrent.

It's my firm opinion that in the past 5-15 years (depending on market),
more than 50% of Internet traffic is video, in some form or another.

This is from working at ISPs and seeing where traffic went. First it was
bitorrent (pirated video), now it's Youtube, Netflix and other kind of
streaming video. I wouldn't call this "TV" though.

In my household (2 adults, 1 6 year old), 75% of the average weekly
traffic by volume, is over IPv6. I haven't checked in detail, but my guess
is that Youtube+Netflix is the majority of this traffic. I come to this
conclusion by looking at when the traffic occurs and what the traffic
levels are, and from remembering what was done at the time.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se