[Cerowrt-devel] BBR congestion control algorithm for TCP innet-next

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Wed Sep 21 12:57:23 EDT 2016

bittorrent is a kind of "FTP" rather than semi-isochornous (i.e. rate-bounded) "TV" in my personal classification.  As I'm sure you know, the two are quite different in their effects on congestion and their handling of congestion.

The idea that bittorrent dominated the Internet traffic volume at any point in time in the past is just plain not credible.  And an observation of one's own personal household by a high-end network user is not extrapolatable at scale.

(for example, it would require that all enterprise traffic through the Internet be dominated by bittorrent, unless enterprise traffic on the Internet is insignificant. There were never significant bittorrent users in enterprises, either connecting out from the companies' networks, or connecting "in" to the companies' externally facing sites).

In any case, there is no scienfic validity to "I seem to remember" claims.