[Cerowrt-devel] Fwd: The 2017 Mirai

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:41:18 EST 2017

> On 5 Jan, 2017, at 20:46, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Probably the most unfortunate name chosen for a car, since the nova, given the number of emissions from the mirai botnet.

“Mirai” simply means “future” in Japanese.  It’s also a reasonably pretty word, with the virtue of not being made up by some focus group.

I assume their marketing team doesn’t pay much attention to the tech press - computer literacy in Japan is surprisingly low.

> since the Nova? whats was wrong with that as a name, it was a popular car

In Spanish, “no va” means “doesn’t go”.  There are a *lot* of Spanish speakers in the Nova’s target market.

 - Jonathan Morton