[Cerowrt-devel] edgerouter Xes and lede

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Thu Mar 9 16:21:22 EST 2017

I've just bought a couple of n3160 Braswell boards as was getting sick of
poor performance out of the MIP's stuff I have.

If you don't care about the AES-NI instruction set's you can pickup j1900
based 4 port routers off aliexpress for under $100 (with intel 200 series
NIC's no less).

The n3160's you can get for around 100$ but the cheap one's only have 2
gbit ports (rtl's).

The n3160's are only 6w at maximum draw and so far I've had much better
results out of them than any of the MIP's or ARM stuff i've been using for
the last few years.

The UBN stuff has been recommended in the past but when you can shift the
l3 forwarding to a much more featureful and standard x86_64 platform and
just hang your Wireless as dumb switches off of that I can't really think
why bothering with the esoteric stuff requiring ttl converters to get up
and running is going to warrant more investment at this point.

No one has yet to produce a proper x86  AC router - you can kludge one
yourself with compex cards... I for one would totally buy one if such a
thing were available.