[Cerowrt-devel] dnsmasq CVEs

David P Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Oct 4 09:12:33 EDT 2017

I share your concern for updates, and support for same.

However, there are architectural solutions we should have pursued a long time ago, which would bound the damage of such vulnerabilities. Make the system far more robust.

There's no reason for dnsmasq to run with privileges. Not should packet parsing. All datagrams should be end to end authenticated.

We developed these rules in 1973-78, both in Multics and in the MIT part of the Internet design. Recommended a specific embedding of cryptography in TCP.

They were rejected as unnecessary by Unix and by the TCP decision-makers.

Now Fedora Server uses SELinux in it's packaged version of dnsmasq, so dnsmasq can't do anything it is not permitted to do, or access resources it isn't supposed to. My personal home router is Fedora 26 Server, so I feel very calm about using dnsmasq.

But the "community" rejects SELinux! Turns it off after install. I know it is a pain, but it works. And it is based on the Multics concepts that Unix ignored. The principle of least privilege.

⁣Sent from Blue ​