[Cerowrt-devel] dlte

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Tue Dec 11 14:02:19 EST 2018

"David P. Reed" <dpreed at deepplum.com> writes:

> Conquer the spectrum licensing and device certification nexus. Or else
> your cell is will pwn yr physical world.
>
> LTE over UNII band is not even as good as CSMA at sharing and
> cooperation, and without coordination at installation planning time,
> it doesn't work well.
>
> 802.11ax has the same fragility in Multi Unit Dwellings due to
> requiring a radio propagation plan and coordination so neighbors don't
> completely jam neighbors.

I have not been tracking ax well of late. I had heard they were doing
smarter things with smaller channels, which gave me hope.

> Don't obsess about throughput at the link layer, when the design
> assumes exclusive rights to transmit.

Given how hard it has been to get a mere lte dongle to work right, I am
inclined to disregard a lot of the 5G hype.

> There are techniques for cooperative space-time-rate multiplexing that
> scale. LTE licensed or unlicensed or 802.11ax are not such techniques.
>
> Small cells are a fantasy of the carriers that they can put their
> licensed gear on your property at points they choose. Technically it
> appears to work in an abstract fantasy prototype. In the real world,
> it can't scale unless you let the phone company invade your premises
> and control all your placement of furniture, doors, mirrors, etc.

Well, I kind of envision that happening, unless we make wifi work really
really well again. I loved learning about low-e glass recently, I think
that is going to interfere with celluar, and make wifi deployments better.