[Cerowrt-devel] LCA 2018 talk available

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Feb 14 08:21:11 EST 2018

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018, Joel Wirāmu Pauling wrote:

> Again it's not the speed, it's the throughput. TB3 delivers near to what
> my local x86 can do in terms of throughput. Also network should never be
> slower than disc. Since NVME has been around this is no-longer true.
> It's an unnatural order of things.

Having done networking since mid 80-ties, having the network be slower
than disk has been the reality, forever, for me. The only time this might
not have been true would be in the beginning of 1GBASE time, where single
HDDs were slower than network. With in 10BASE-2 days, HDDs were doing a
magnitude higher transfer speeds compared to network. Running NFS was slow
compared to local drive.

> Cabling is the issue in my mind right now. Every laptop with tb3 ports
> has 10G+ capability, if passive optical long run was cheap and easily
> available for tb3 then half the problem would already be solved.

Cabling fiber is unfortunately always quite a lot harder and more
complicated than copper, that's why RJ45 won. Having factory-made fiber
cable with USB-C connectors at each end might work, if the active
electronics can be made small enough. Think pulling these through holes in
walls, through cable management etc. Unfortunately I doubt these will
reach enough volume in near time to really become widely used due to their
initial high cost.

> Maybe 10G over cat6a will be ok as the evolution. But you have to go to
> cat8 to get anything beyond 10G... so the cabling situation and
> incentive to upgrade to future-proof isn't there.

If we need higher than 10G speeds, then yes, fiber is the next natural
evolution. I don't know how we're going to make single-mode fiber
something that the average user can handle without problems. There are
advantages though.

I am getting FTTH now. The cable they're putting is looks like this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154951833141595&set=p.10154951833141595&type=3&theater

It has 3 strands and it's single mode.

So if we can light up these at a good cost/power/size compromise, the
cables can be made extremely thin. Still wondering how the connectors etc
are going to look like to make this end user friendly.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se