[Cerowrt-devel] KASLR: Do we have to worry about other arches than x86?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 16:47:51 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Joel Wirāmu Pauling <joel at aenertia.net> wrote:

> On 5 January 2018 at 01:09, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I don't think we need to worry about it too much in a router context.
>> Virtual server folks, OTOH...
>>
>>  - Jonathan Morton
>>
> Disagree - The Router is pretty much synonymous with NFV
>
> ; I run my lede instances at home on hypervisors - and this is definitely
> the norm in Datacentres now. We need to work through this quite carefully.

Yes, the NFV case is serious and what I concluded we had most to worry
about - before starting to worry about the lower end router chips
themselves. But I wasn't aware that people were actually trying to run
lede in that, I'd kind of expected
a more server-like distro to be used there. Why lede in a NFV? Ease of
configuration? Reduced attack surface? (hah)

The only x86 chip I use (aside from simulations) is the AMD one in the
apu2, which I don't know enough about as per speculation...

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619