[Cerowrt-devel] hacking on babel 1.8.3

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:33:33 EDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 7:27 AM Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to deploy the latest openwrt to all ~40 routers I
> > have. (I did get a reprieve on having to close the lab, but I have to
> > update the whole campus as part of it).
>
> I managed to get Homenet working on 18.06.1. There is a conflict with some
> files so you have to do "opkg remove" on the dhcpv6 server, but after that
> it installs cleanly and seems to work. I installed it on two machines and
> they did all the homenet+hncp+babel things.

Next stop a few hundred. on someone elses testbed...

My main issue with hncp (3 years back) is it wanted to assign an IPv6
address to *everything*
and I only have /60s to spare, and I didn't want to assign public ipv6 addresses
to internal routers at all.

> One thing I discovered is that I would like DHCPv6-PD lifetime capping, so
> I can control the source address selection of hosts. I had two different
> upstreams with PDs and one had much longer lifetime compared to the
> other. So hosts chose the one with the highest lifetime, which wasn't what
> I wanted.

I'm rather impressed with how far odhcp has evolved since I last looked and
had some code in it to manage times better but probably not what you want.

https://github.com/openwrt/odhcpd

In particular I was *really impressed* by the clean interface to netlink.
Netlink is a PITA to deal with.

It could use some more ebpf support.

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com